An accreditation survey visit is conducted every four years for re-accreditation and also for assessment of new prevocational medical training programs. In addition, if issues are raised in regards to the prevocational medical training offered at a particular facility outside scheduled survey visits, PMCV will investigate and may undertake an extraordinary survey visit to review.
This survey visit process, which involves assessment of the overall training program as well as individual posts, has three stages:
This includes arranging the date of the site visit, finalising the membership of the survey team, completion of the pre-visit submission by the facility and collection of feedback from junior doctors in regards to the terms they have completed.
Survey teams are also expected to participate in a pre-visit meeting 2-3 weeks prior to the visit to discuss the submission and prepare for the survey visit.
The survey visit
This includes examination of documentary evidence provided by the facility, analysis of junior doctor feedback and meetings with key staff, including junior doctors and senior medical staff.
There is usually a tour of the training facilities.
Report and recommendations
Following the visit the survey team prepares a survey report, the findings of which are sent to the facility for factual review.
The final report, which includes recommendations by the survey team in regards to compliance with intern training requirements and the accreditation standards as well recommendation for improvement, is then considered by the Accreditation subcommittee, resulting in a recommendation on the duration and status of accreditation awarded to a facility in regards to the training program as well individual posts.
The report also includes evaluation by the survey team (using the same rating scale used by the facility) against the accreditation standards.
In general, accreditation visits are conducted between May and September each year and the facilities to be assessed by survey visit are contacted in the year prior to commence the process. Visits outside this period are scheduled on an ‘as required’ basis and are generally the result of applications for new positions at sites not previously accredited or when specific issues or concerns raised at an accredited site.
The survey visit should include the following for each site of the facility sites where interns and PGY2s are located:
- An introductory meeting of the survey team with the facility executive including the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Medical Services (or delegates), Medical Administration staff and Medical Education staff including the Supervisor of Intern Training and Directors of Clinical Training. This meeting sets the scene in terms of the governance and strategic direction of the facility as well as addressing issues from the previous survey visit and any that are current.
- A meeting or meetings, preferably immediately after the introductory meeting, separately with interns and PGY2 staff. As a minimum the team would like to meet with interns from each post (or group of posts) and at least 60% of PGY2s.
- A meeting with term supervisors and other senior medical staff responsible for prevocational supervision. This meeting should include the term supervisors of the intern positions to be accredited. As a minimum the team must meet with one term supervisor per core intern term and the term supervisors for all new terms.
- A tour of the facilities including HMO lounge, 1-2 wards (review of HMO workspace), storage of belongings, library and simulation centre.
- A debriefing session of the survey team with relevant senior staff of the facility.
- Time must be allocated in the day for the survey team to prepare at the start of the day, in the middle of the day for an update and prior to the de-brief, and to write the report at the end of the day.
- Should the visit require visits to multiple sites, adequate travel time must be provided as well as car parking.
- For the visit the facility is requested to provide one room for the whole day from around 8am to 5pm to allow the team time for discussion pre- and post the survey visit meetings with facility staff.
Survey Visits 2017
|Facility||Date for Visit||Team Leader|
|Bass Coast Health||12 May 2017||
A/Prof Louisa Ng
|Goulburn Valley Health||25 May 2017||
Dr Ka Chun Tse
|Grampians Health Service ITP||27-28 June 2017||A/Prof Michael Franco|
|Alfred Health incl Caulfield, Sandringham||to be confirmed (July 2017)||
to be advised
|Calvary Health Bethlehem - align with Alfred visit||to be confirmed (July 2017)||
to be advised
|Austin Health inc Repat||to be confirmed (July/Aug 2017)||
to be advised
|Eastern Health - inc Box Hill/Maroonda/Angliss/Peter James/Epworth Private||to be confirmed (September 2017)||
to be advised
|Northern Health||to be confirmed (September 2017)||to be advised|